Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Member Missionary I Want to Be


While I was serving my mission, I had lots of members go to different appointments with us. And I'll be honest, some were DEFINITELY better than others. Over the course of time, I was able to get a pretty good idea of the kind of member missionary I wanted to be when I got home. One who was always willing to go out and teach with the missionaries, one who would be able to help investigators by giving them rides to church, be there to support them. All that good stuff.

I have finally met the SPANISH Sisters. Or should I say, Las Misioneras. I've gone to a couple of lessons with them. I went to a lesson with them again tonight. Well, at least we tried. The family they planned to visit wasn't home. So we went to plan B, popping in on another investigator. Off we went. We went and had a great discussion with her about the Holy Ghost. And then they invited her to a Relief Society Activity tomorrow night. She kinda hummed and hawed saying that she had too many kids and all sorts of "good" excuses. The Sisters said that having the kids there wouldn't be a problem because others would be taking their kids as well. This investigator said that she thought she knew where the church was. But by this point, the Spirit was kicking me to say that I'd go pick her up. Yes, I have a bajillion things to do tomorrow night. But I also know that when directed to do something by the Spirit, one needs to do just that. So, I offered to go pick them all up. She said it would be better if she followed me. So I'm going to go and get her tomorrow after work and take her to the activity.

The whole way back to their car (I had the Sisters get in my car because I know that miles are limited in mission vehicles) Sister White kept saying how amazing I was to offer to do that. Hey, I've been there, done that. Sometimes the ONLY way you can get someone to church or an activity--especially that first time--is to have a member go and get them. And I also know that it isn't exactly an easy thing to find a member willing and able to do so. Before I came home, I determined that I was going to be one of those "super members" that every missionary dreams of having in their area.

Honestly, I don't feel like I'm doing much for the Sisters. I'm not really going out of my way. And I'll be able to speak Spanish all night, which will be like a dream come true anyway. But I do know how important members are in missionary work. Heck, it talks many times in Preach My Gospel about the importance of members and the benefits of using members in lessons. It talks about how members should give rides to the investigators and be that support to them. And I have a strong testimony about member involvement in missionary work. I'm just "paying it forward." Several times while I was on my mission I had members go out of their way to help investigators get to church or activities. They helped me out. Now I'm the member helping out these sisters. And I'm sure that when they get home, they'll remember this example--just like I remembered the example of those who helped us--and do the same for the missionaries in their area. And what a blessing it is to be able to continue helping in the Lord's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment