Monday, July 18, 2011

Oh how the time flies...

It has now been 6 months since I left the mission field. 6 months ago today I was in the mission home, too excited/nervous/sad to be able to sleep. I laid awake reflecting on the past 18 months and how wonderful they were. And now, even 6 months later, I still think about the mission every single day. Really. I used to think it was dumb how RMs said that they thought about their mission every day. But now I'm one of them. I have so many good memories. It was the mission that made me who I am today. It was the mission that made it possible for me to be strong, to overcome many things. It was the mission that allowed me to meet many people who have become my dearest friends.

Now, 6 months after coming home, the mission seems like a distant memory. It almost seems like a dream. So much has happened. I went from awkward RM to social butterfly able to communicate with guys better than I ever was able to before (and oddly enough, I have mostly guys in my classes...though most of them are married or engaged). I've survived an entire semester (it's kind of crazy how my 6-month mark corresponds with the end of the semester). But not only that, I've also worked and fulfilled my responsibilities as Relief Society President. I've taken a few trips to Utah, 2 completely on my own. I've made some wonderful friends. I've had the best apartment of roommates that I've ever had...and next semester will be the same. I've changed my education track a bit...to something that will open many more doors for me (certified ESL teacher). I've had happy times and sad times--but have grown from each and every experience.

All in all, I am so grateful for the person I have become. I am grateful for the path my life has taken over the last 6 months, and am excited to see where the next 6 months take me!

No comments:

Post a Comment