Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Horizon City, Texas, Transfer 12, Week 3

Dear Family and Friends,

I hope that you all had a great Christmas, and that you have a Happy New Year! I had a good Christmas full of lots and lots of turkey (my Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners were mixed up this year, but I definitely got my turkey fix taken care of).

Monday: It was p-day. We went over to the stake center to practice songs for Zone Conference, and I was able to bug the Elders for more talents for the talent show. 12 Days of Christmas: D&C 89:16, fruit granola bars

Tuesday: We made lots of good visits. I did the prep work for the zone conference talent show program, making lots of phone calls to make sure everyone was still going to do what they said they would. 12 Days of Christmas: 2 Nephi 2:25, almond joy

Wednesday: We had a great day of Zone Conference! It was my last one... it really hit me that this is the end (though I'm counting my blessings that President Miller doesn't have missionaries do their departing testimonies in zone conference anymore because that really would have made me cry). I played the organ for a piano/organ duet... and almost had a disaster. We got there to practice and the organ was locked. By the time we figured out where the key was to unlock it, it was time to start, so we didn't get to practice at all before we played it. And we got up there to play the song, and the organ wasn't turning on. The other sister was already starting the prelude and I was frantically trying to get her to stop, and finally turned to the other side to the zone leaders and told them to tell her to stop. They started scrambling and found that the organ wasn't plugged in... they fixed it about 2 seconds before I needed to come in. WHEW! The talent show was a hit! It was so much fun! Everything came together perfectly. It was a really good conference. We talked about how to become a consecrated missionary. My thoughts were "Oh sure. NOW they tell me... just in time to kick me out." But no, it really was good, and will benefit me for the 3 weeks I have left, and as I make the transition from being a missionary to being a normal person again. 12 Days: (I don't remember the scripture), Chapstick.

Thursday: We went and did some service. We had a lunch appointment with a less active sister. The family we ate dinner with gave us some Christmas gifts, including a pair of pj pants and gloves. So I did get Christmas jammies this year! All the missionaries in our wards went caroling... I was only in a light sweater and didn't even freeze! haha to all of you who have lots and lots of snow up north! 12 Days: 1 Samuel 2:9, socks

Friday: It was Christmas eve. We did weekly planning. Then we went to dinner #1 and ate turkey! It was really yummy! I'd been craving turkey since Thanksgiving. From there we went to dinner #2, a Christmas party that one of the families in the stake had for all of the missionaries. That was fun! 12 Days: D&C 103: 9, lifesavers. I also got the wedding announcement for my trainer, Sister Trunnell. She gets married tomorrow, and her open house in Utah is 4 days before I get home. Oh well. Such is life.

Saturday: We got up and opened our presents, though I didn't have much for me here (I'd told mom not to send me anything because I didn't want to have to haul it home, so she sent me a watch and some makeup). We got to call home. My family sure was excited to hear from me! And we ate 2 turkey dinners. Yup... my turkey fix has definitely been taken care of. It was a good Christmas. There is nothing better than having your whole focus on the Savior at the time of His birth.

Sunday: We spent all day at church, as usual. We had a great lesson with Lucy, one of our investigators. We met in the chapel, and the Spirit was so strong. She has told us before that she doesn't want to accept a baptismal date before she knows that this really is what she wants to do because she is the kind of person that when they say they're going to do something they do it. And her husband is a Jehovah Witness, which is also a big hold up for her. They're struggling in their marriage right now and she doesn't want to do anything that could hurt it. But at least Sister Newbold and I felt very strongly to be bold with her and we were. We brought up baptism and how she can know for herself of the truth of the Gospel. I don't think I've ever been that bold with an investigator, but went about it in a very loving manner. We didn't get her committed to a date yet, but she is willing to keep learning and knows that someday she will join. She wants to learn more first and make sure it really is the right thing for her to do.

I hope you all have a great week, and a happy, safe end of 2010 and start of 2011!

See you soon!

Hermana Good

No comments:

Post a Comment