Monday, December 13, 2010

Horizon City, Texas, Transfer 12, Week 1

Dear Family and Friends,

It was a pretty good week. We did have some disappointing times with our investigators, pero asi es la vida de una misionera. I hope you all had a good week.

Monday: It was p-day. We said goodbye to the Elders who were going home or being transferred, 4 of the 6 in our district. The 3 going home were trunky and couldn't have cared less. But they were all looking kind of down... much like I imagine myself looking 6 weeks from now... well not even that. But I don't want to think about that. We had dinner with the McDermed/ Longoria family. I really enjoy spending time with them.

Tuesday: We had a great lesson with one of our new investigators, Lucy, and the Relief Society President, Sister Doyon. Then we headed over to the transfer site because Sisters Newbold and Jarman were bored sitting in their car because, let's face it, the Elders don't like to associate with the Sisters. While there, Elder Moore who used to be in our district came over and visited for a while. He was in disbelief that this is my dying transfer. And quite frankly, so am I. I also saw Sister Stolp (an English sister), and Sister Cabello who was transferred down to Anthony. We have TONS of sisters in our district. FIVE!!! It's great fun. We get along a little too well. The Elders feel like they've been overrun... which they kind of have. It's going to be a great transfer!

Wednesday: We started helping Sister Newbold get to know the area. I'm sitting in the backseat all transfer because they need to learn the area and I can still navigate from the back if I have to, which I have had to do. We had dinner with the Browns and other Sisters. We also helped Sister Brown put up the rest of her Christmas decorations. We'll put it this way... it's a good thing the 5 of us don't live in the same apartment because we get along a little TOO well. I started getting phone calls for people for the talent show for Zone Conference, and constant reminders that I'm dying by anyone who knows me.

Thursday: One of my companions was sick, so we got lots of good studying done. We were able to do weekly planning which was weird. President switched weekly planning and district meeting days, so I've been all sorts of confused. We got a phone call that Elder Gust got his visa to go to Mexico. He left this morning... meaning that now the sisters in the district outnumber the Elders. Perfect! For us anyway. The Elders don't think it's so great. But for us sisters it's great fun!

Friday: We had district meeting. We started out with a get to know you activity, because of the 10 missionaries in our district, 6 were new. We had to say how long we've been out, so I said that I've been out for a while. Then lovely Elder Evans, who was in my MTC district and sat by me on the plane down, piped up and said that he'd been out for 17 months and 10 days, the same as Sister Good. We said goodbye to Elder Gust who is going to rock it down in Veracruz! We went to lunch with the other sisters. I LOVE having other sisters around. It's quite the way to die. We also had dinner with them at the Gonzales' house. I've missed them SO much. But while we were driving over there, it really hit me that this is my last transfer. I was sitting in the back seat trying to stay happy. Sister Knight told me later that she could tell that something was up, and that she assumed it was something to do with my leaving. I love the mission so much, and now that I'm here at the end I don't want it to end. It is so hard to believe that more than 17 months have passed by oh so quickly. I also got a letter from Hermana Windous in Chile. That made me smile. She was talking about how much she's learned in her first month in the field and that she can't imagine how much she'll have learned by the end of the mission. I can't wait to write her back. Even if I do get her written back today and sent this week, she won't get my letter until after I'm home. That's weird to think.

Saturday: We spent the morning tracting. Then we went and helped Sister Greaves decorate cookies for the ward Christmas party. It was so much fun! The Christmas party was good too. It was good food. I had the turkey and stuffing I’ve been craving (and had a turkey sandwich for breakfast today with the leftovers they loaded us up with--I'm out of cereal until we go to the store later), and a bit of honey-glazed ham. And someone made homemade oreos. I was in heaven!

Sunday: We spent the day in church, then went to dinner at Bishop Zuniga's with all the missionaries. We had a good time. We get along good together... which is a good thing, because we thought for sure that we'd drive the Elders nuts, and we probably do but that's okay.

I love our companionship. It is great to be able to work with Sister Newbold and Sister Batchkoff. This is the 5th transfer that I have spent in a trio on the mission, but I think this is the best one I've had. We get along well. It is hard to figure out how to teach together, but we're getting there. Sister Newbold has some really great ideas to bring to the table that will bless and benefit Sister Batchkoff for the rest of the mission.

I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to serve through another Christmas. Last Christmas in the mission was a wonderful experience for me, so focused on the Savior. I've never experienced anything like it, and after this year I probably never will again. I am greatly looking forward to Zone Conference next week to be able to celebrate the spirit of the season with the other missionaries.

I have also decided personally to do the 40 day fast again this transfer. I noticed a huge difference in the Spirit last transfer, and there are still things that I have that I want to improve before I return home. It really stuck in my head what Elder Jensen said at Zone Conference on 30 June "You'll never be better than your best self as a missionary." I have noticed a huge difference in myself over the past 17 months, and still have another 5 weeks to continue to improve.

I hope you all have a good week and enjoy the holiday Spirit!

Love you all!

Hermana Good

No comments:

Post a Comment