Monday, October 25, 2010

It's No Fun Being Sick and Transfer News

Dear Family and Friends

Well, another week has, well, dragged on here in Horizon City. That happens when you can't leave your apartment and have nothing to do.

Monday: It was our p-day. We spent most of it doing laundry at our ward mission leader's house and helping him and his wife out with stuff they needed to have done. My allergies were still bothering me pretty good... or bad I guess I should say.

Tuesday: I woke up with a sinus infection. Sister Miller told us to stay in. I slept most of the day. We got a phone call from Elders Zeitner and Mendenhall saying that they got their visas so we did leave long enough to say goodbye to them because they flew out early Wednesday morning to head back to the MTC for their visas and then on to Mexico.

Wednesday: I was still sick and pretty miserable and stayed in bed for most of the day. We left for one appointment with Rosa and the Gonzales family.

Thursday: I woke up with a really croupy cough, so Sister Miller told me to go to the Doctor. She told me that I had a throat infection and severe congestion, so I've been on a decongestant and antibiotic. We skipped district meeting because a) I was at the doctor, and b) I didn't want to get all of the Elders sick. I was feeling a little better that evening after sleeping all day long, so I spent a little time organizing and de-junking on the off-chance that I'd be transferred so I could send some stuff home.

Friday: I was still sick and had a really hard time staying awake, so I slept most of the day. And Sister Jardine was sick too. My bad. We tried to do our weekly planning, but we alternated between me and her having lots of energy, and instantly powering down like you see in the cartoons.

Saturday: We were still in sick. I was feeling better, but Sister Jardine was feeling worse and running a fever. I'd had a feeling that I was going to be getting a call to train, but when President hadn't called by 12:30 I gave up on that idea. We were eating dinner around 5:30 and talking about things we're going to do differently/ better next transfer when the phone rang. It was the mission home. It was President Miller. It was for me. And guess what... I am training. And Sister Jardine is headed up to Santa Fe. Sisters Cope and Cabello in Rio Rancho called us to see what was going on with us... and Sister Cabello's English is SO good! She'll be in an English only area this transfer, and I'm so excited for her!

Sunday: We did go to church, although Sister Jardine really didn't feel like it. She had lots of goodbyes to say. We also went to a baptism after church. Elder Pearson found the Miranda family when he was here a year and a half ago. Their 18 year old daughter wanted to be baptized so bad, but had health problems that prevented it. After Elder Pearson was transferred, they wouldn't let any other missionaries in. Their daughter passed away in June, and Elder Pearson came back in August. Brother Miranda, who had been less active, received the Priesthood yesterday and baptized his wife after church. They are on their way to having an eternal family. It was an amazing baptism.

Yesterday, one of our Bishops told us that he has had several members in the ward come up to him and express to him their gratitude for the hard work that we are doing here. He said that they have been very impressed by our dedication to the work and how well we are working with them and our investigators. When we got here to Horizon 12 weeks ago, I knew instantly that we would have to work to rebuild member trust, and I made it a goal to do so because I know how important it is to have the trust of the members so they will be willing to help us with lessons. It appears that we have done that. It was a very satisfying feeling to know that the members do trust us.

Today we'll be saying more goodbyes for Sister Jardine, and tomorrow I'll meet my new companion in Las Cruces. I am very excited to help my trainee start her mission off on the right foot.
I'm pretty excited!

Love you all. Have a great week.

Love, Hermana Good

PS~ If you're wondering, yes I am feeling better. I still have a nasty cough, but I can breathe.

PPS~ Yes, my time is quickly winding down, and I'm starting to realize it--but I'm not letting myself get trunky. I'm going to work hard to the end. But totally random--last night I had a dream that I was in the computer room at home checking my hotmail and facebook... except I couldn't remember the passwords. It was weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment