Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Cortez, CO Transfer 7, Week 1

Well everyone, here I am still in beautiful Colorado trying to work hard and have a great transfer. And I think it will be. With other sisters here in Cortez this transfer, we'll be able to do some fun things with them. We just came from lunch at Dairy Queen with them. They're both hilarious. Sister Anderson served here a year ago (goes home after this transfer). She was hoping that none of the members would remember her, but everyone does--some just by hearing her on the phone. She didn't want people to know that she goes home soon. And they're both trying to play it off that Sister Wilkes is brand new this transfer. They say that Sister Anderson has been out for over 9 months and Sister Wilkes for under a year. And that's all fine and dandy until the members remember Sister Anderson or ask Sister Wilkes where else she has served. They're funny.

Okay--onto my week.

Monday: It was spent with Sister Shade packing and me cleaning the apartment and driving her around to say goodbye--the second time. We had dinner with BIshop Decker and his family and the Renteria's, a family we're teaching.

Tuesday: Transfers. I thought Sisters had a lot of stuff. Three of the Elders from up here were being transferred, and one of the companionships is on bikes so they were going down in the same truck, but they called us MOnday night to ask us to meet them to help them haul all of their stuff down to Farmington. Sister Shade and I were both like okay, whatever Elders. We'll help you rearrange all the stuff in your truck so you can fit it in there. But no. Sister Shade only had 2 suitcases. Those don't take up a lot of space. But it took us 2 trucks to haul 3 Elders and their stuff to Farmington. Okay, so there were 3 bikes, but still--even without the bikes they couldn't have gotten everything into one truck. And for the record--It took us one truck with EXTRA space to bring 3 sisters back. And then those poor other sisters--it took the 4 of us 15 minutes to fill 4 garbage bags full of junk from their apartment that the Elders left a complete disaster.

Wednesday: We went so Sister Cabello could meet some of the members and investigators. We then went tracting (which I later got in trouble for by Sister Anderson because Sister Cabello sprained her foot 2 weeks ago and has to stay off of it as much as possible, but she told me she was fine because we could have found something else to do). It was a beautiful day, much better than the yucky wind storm we had on Tuesday that I got to drive back from Farmington in.

Thursday: We had District Meeting. We've got a good district this transfer. We went so Sister Cabello could meet Bishop Decker. She'd briefly met Sister Decker Tuesday night because she helped us with a lesson, but it was nice for her to be able to spend some more time with someone from Peru. We also had a few lessons.

Friday: Weekly planning. We did a very in-depth planning session--because we're focusing on less actives this transfer as Sister Cabello can't go tracting, at least for the next few weeks. And with an area the size of ours (everything west of Hwy 491 from the New Mexico border up to the top of the mission and clear to the Utah boarder) that took some extensive planning to figure out where the people the ward has asked us to visit live and the best order to visit them so we're not having members drive us back and forth (because we don't have miles to do much on our own since we have to go back down to Farmington next week for Zone Conference)

Saturday: We spent the day visiting former investigators and less active members.

Sunday: The member of the bishopric who is conducting this month asked Sister Cabello to share her testimony in sacrament meeting, and since he didn't give her advance warning, I translated it from Spanish to English so everyone could understand. That was great fun. I'm not used to going that direction, or not doing it simultaneously. I had several members tell me how impressed they are at how well I translated and how fluent I am. They also know I translate every week in Relief Society and are so amazed that I can do it so well. What they don't know is that the poor investigators I'm translating for don't get the whole message from the lessons (or talks when I translate Sacrament meeting) and that they also didn't get all of Sister Cabello's testimony because she said to much for me to remember what she said before I nudged her to stop so I could translate. Oh well. I try, and that's what counts, right? We also did some less active visits.

So yeah. That's my week. Sorry this is later than usual getting out--we usually come to town then go back to our apartment to do everything we need to do (cleaning, laundry, letters, etc.) but are praying that we don't run out of miles and definitely don't have the miles to drive the 10 miles back to our apartment only to come back to town later. So we did everything we needed to at home then came down and will stay here until we go home tonight. What a blessing that members are willing to give us rides. *Note:volunteer to give missionaries rides. We appreciate it :)

I love you all. Have a great week.

Hermana Good

No comments:

Post a Comment