Thursday, July 16, 2009

Life in the MTC - Week 2

Mi Familia y Amigos

For starters, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEVIN!!! The big 14! Have a fabulous day! Also, Hermana Crook's mom wanted your e-mail so you might be hearing from her.

Wednesday: P-day. I did laundry and wrote letters. Thanks to all who wrote me last week! It helped my first week here go better. That night Hermana Waldrop and I taught a lesson to one of the teachers here. That went pretty well for our first lesson. Our DL, Elder Baggaley also stood up to the other Elders who had a habit of goofing off when there wasn't a teacher in the room. This past week has been so much better because of that conversation we had. It really helped us grow closer together as a district.

Thursday: I got my flip-flops in the mail. I actually had the package before I got the dearelder letter saying that you'd sent them. I also got a birthday card from someone who signed up on missionary moms. She apologized that her card was late :) I wasn't even on my mission on my birthday! The last name was Cooper. I got the dearelder about your reaction to dad's picture. Hurry and figure out about that baptism--I'm excited to hear about it. That night we went to the Referral Center (RC) I had a great call with a man who recently joined the church. Hermana Waldrop had a horrible call with a man who just wanted to fight her on all the doctrine. No bueno. She got really upset, and I didn't care about no stinkin rules. I gave her a nice big hug when we got out of there. She needed it.

Friday: Where has the week gone?! The time is just flying by! We played beach volleyball again for gym. No mom, I'm not bruised and I'm actually really enjoying it! Emily DiMartini, I keep expecting you to drive past like you said you were going to and yell "Don't let Sister Good Play ball!" But no worries. I LOVE it and am actually getting over my fear of balls! Yea me! I got more mail. That made me happy... then again, it usually does.

Saturday: It was cooler during gym, and even sprinkled on us a little. We played volleyball again. During class we read D&C 4:2 and I realized there are a few things I need to change about my attitude and put my whole heart, might, mind, and strength into the work. I've been more motivated since that and things are going really well. That evening, I had to teach a short lesson on an attribute of Christ (I chose patience since that's what I prepared my sacrament meeting talk on for Sunday) to one of the elders in the district that is leaving next week. I actually did really well. I was able to understand most of what he said and communicate what I wanted to say pretty well.

Sunday: I LOVE Sunday at the MTC! All of the sisters have Relief Society together since there's only a few hundred of us and they have Sisters from the Church come speak to us. This week we had Sister Margaret Nadauld, who was YW general president a few years ago. Her talk was wonderful! Sacrament meeting was good. Each week they choose 2 missionaries randomly out of the congregation to give a 2-5 minute talk, so we all have to be ready. Then a branch presidency member and his wife speak to us. It was a wonderful sacrament meeting. I don't remember if I told you, but Hermana Waldrop y yo were asked to be the music coordinators so we get to choose all the music for sacrament meeting. We wanted to have a special musical number, so all 6 of us hermanas sang (well 5 of us sang and one played the piano) Mas Cerca Dios De Ti (Nearer My God to Thee). We had one on soprano, 2 on alto, and one each on tenor and bass an octave higher, and did the 3rd verse a capella. It was AWESOME! The Elders all loved it. That song was stuck in my head all day, but that's okay 'cause it's a good song! That afternoon we went on a temple walk and took some pictures with all the hermanas in our zone and our district, minus 2 elders who are going to the Dominican Republic and had a meeting to be to. I'll try to send them home soon. We went to choir practice that night for the devotional choir. We sang Come Thou Fount--love that song! We sang Called to Serve at the Sunday night fireside, and I cried... just like I do every time we sing it here, which is pretty much every big meeting. It is so neat to have over 2200 missionaries singing that song!

Monday: We had service. The 4 hermanas in my room were assigned to clean the bathrooms on the 4th floor of our building, and lucky me, I got stuck with the showers. Kesha, I'll NEVER complain about having to clean your hair out of the drain again. I spent about 45 minutes cleaning drains. YUCK! Hermana Waldrop y yo had an appointment at the TEC and got some good tips on questions to ask investigators. I got letters from home and loved the stories about Bear! They really made me laugh. I miss that little puppy, who probably isn't so little any more. I saw Elder Silvester in the cafeteria, and he told me that he is leaving this week (aka today.) I'm excited for him, but I'm not gonna lie, I'll miss seeing him around. He made me laugh every time I saw him, which was pretty much every day. Jill, I know you're jealous, and I'm sorry. He looks great though and is so ready to be out there. He's gonna be a great missionary!

Tuesday: We played volleyball again during gym. We were waiting to get back into the gym after taking a break between choir practice and the devotional and I heard that the last missionary who had been quarantined because of the Swine flu was released from quarantine Monday night. That's great news! Maybe we'll be able to start shaking hands again soon. I hope so anyway because it's really weird not to. Speaking of devo, it was amazing! Dad, you're gonna wish you were here! It was President and Sister Steuer (his mission president for those who don't know). They shared a great message about missionary work and temples. He told a couple of stories that I thought were way awesome. Did you know about them dad? The first was 2 sister missionaries were out tracting and came across a really scary looking young man sitting on a bench smoking pot and playing the guitar. They contacted him, started teaching him, baptized him and 1 1/2 years later he was the AP. The other was a new missionary from Northern Brazil went out and came back to President Steuer about a week later and said that he had his first baptism--his sister who had left home and they hadn't seen in about 4 years. That was awesome! I would have tried to go talk to them, but we had district devo review right after. Tuesday night was also kinda sad. No, really sad. I saw Sister Sorensen before the devo, and she left today, so we had to say goodbye. I tried not to cry, and did pretty good. I'm way excited for her and way happy that she gets to go out there and start teaching. She's gonna be a great missionary, and I'm excited to hear all about her mission in 18 months. It was after the devotional that was hard. She saw me across the sea of missionaries and waved goodbye. I totally lost it. I don't know why... okay, I do. It's because I'm my mother's daughter and got her waterworks. But I'll survive. Alicia Jenkins gets here today, so I'm on the lookout for her and have another friend here now!

Today: We got up and went to the temple and ate breakfast there after the session. It was yummy! We just ate ice cream for lunch because we were still full, but didn't want to miss out on the ice cream. Now we're e-mailing and getting ready to head off and do laundry here soon and write letters.

Oh, 2 of our roommates left this week too, so I had to say goodbye to Hermanas Bustillos and Sullivan.

Well, my time is almost up. I love you all and look forward to your letters! Have a most fabulous week! Keep the letters coming so I know how you all are doing!

I love it here, so much! It is an amazing place to be!

Hermana Kira Good

No comments:

Post a Comment