Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Horizon City, Texas, Transfer 10, Week 1

Dear Family and Friends,

No, I can't believe that I'm already in transfer #10. Time is flying by so quickly. This week, Sister Jardine and I will flip-flop--I'll have less time left than she's got out--she's been out for 3 1/2 months.

Monday: It was our p-day. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

Tuesday: We have been here in Horizon for 6 weeks. We had a FANTASTIC day! We were able to make lots of contacts, because we listened to the Spirit as to where we needed to be and who we needed to visit. One of those visits was to a widow in the ward who has some health problems and needed help cleaning her house. We were able to do in about 1/2 hour what would have taken her all day long with as often as she needs to sit down and rest. It was great.

Wednesday: We had another great day, and had lots of prayers answered--including the maintenance man showing up about 5 minutes after we prayed because we locked our keys in the house and the manager wasn't there (he's got a key to all the apartments too). It was close to 100 degrees. We were roasting. This is very abnormal for us this time of year. I keep forgetting it's almost October, because it feels like July.

Thursday: We had district meeting, and met the 2 new Elders in our district. We've now got 6 missionaries in the wards we cover. After that, we went to an appointment we had with a sister we'd contacted last week when we were early for an appointment and only had time to knock one door, so we prayed about where Heavenly Father wanted us to go and were led to her door. It was an amazing lesson! We also were looking at the map to find a street to knock doors on. We chose an area and were looking in that area, and I happened to look over one square and found a street that we've been looking for since we got here, but had been spelled wrong on the referral paper so we couldn't find it. We went to try to contact her, and she wasn't home. But we had a terrifying experience. It was cloudy and windy and looked like it was going to rain, and just as we got under her porch, lighting struck on the same street that we'd just walked across to get there. Yikes! Yes, if I'd been 2 seconds later I very well could have gotten struck by lightening this week. Heavenly Father is protecting His servants.

Friday: We had weekly planning and coordination meeting with the English ward. Then we went to the Mexican Independence Day activity with the Spanish ward. It was fun to be there, but I so wanted to dance with the music. 4 more months...

Saturday: It was hot. We taught a few lessons.

Sunday: We went to church. That night, I finished reading the Old Testament! That was pretty exciting. I started around Christmas time last year with the goal to read the Bible from cover to cover by the end of this year. That goal seemed a little far-fetched, especially as I was reading the first part that is all names and places and doesn't make sense. But the past few weeks, I've really gotten into it and flew through the last few books. And now I've re-modified my goal to read all of the standard works by the time I get home. I'm currently reading the BOM in Spanish, so that takes care of that one. I've finished the Old Testament, so that's done. And I've only got to read like 6 pages a day to finish the Pearl of Great Price, D&C, and New Testament before I go home. Doable? I think so!

Well, I hope you all have a great week. I know I will after having gone to the temple yesterday. (Speaking of, what do you get when you fill a 15-passenger van with 5 companionships of missionaries and a ward mission leader? A very entertaining ride.) And as sisters, we were glad we were in the front of the back so we could mostly ignore them and talk to Brother G. We left our apartment about 5:45 am and got home about 10:15 pm. It was a long day, but oh so worth it. I feel very rejuvenated today to go out and conquer the world! (or at least this little corner of it.)

I love you all!

Hermana Good

No comments:

Post a Comment