Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I'm Leavin' On a Jet Plane ...

Well, here we are. This is the last e-mail I'll send from Provo. Are you all as excited as I am? As Hermana Crook put it, we're 1/10 of the way done with our missions--in other words, we've paid our "tithe" (can you tell what our focus is for the TRC this week?) In fact, I'll say that this has been the best week I've had here. More exciting news on that to come!

Wed: We went to the temple, which always makes for a good day. We did laundry, wrote letters, the usual. We had our TRC as well, which went very well. We both walked out of there feeling like we'd had a very successful lesson.

Thurs: The day started out great! About 6 years ago, Elder Ballard was here at the MTC and said that the Sisters need to wear makeup. Coming from an Apostle, that's pretty big. They started a makeup class here for the sister missionaries. We get to go and have our makeup done and eat chocolate and socialize with other sisters. It was great fun! They also give us the makeup they used, donated by NuSkin. But from there, my day kinda went downhill. Flight plans are generally distributed on Thursday, so we were all excited. Until Elder Shedden checked the mail anyway. Those going to Argentina had their flight plans, but the 3 of us staying in the States had nothing. Elder Evans and Elder Shedden could get away from the celebration, but my companion got hers, so I was stuck. I was kinda upset. We also got our invitation to sing at this week's departure devotional instead of our own.

Fri: FLIGHT PLANS!!! Okay, I know you're all excited about this! I leave the MTC on MONDAY!!! August 31 at 5:00 am. I depart from SLC at 8:40 am and land in Albuquerque at 10:18 am! I am so excited you have no idea! We also taught an amazing lesson to a "recent convert" in the TEC. Oh yeah, and when we were in the RC Thurs. night, I called a lady who had ordered, I think, Finding Faith in Christ. She said she didn't think Christ needed to come to the Americas. Right as I was getting ready to testify (not 2 seconds later) she came out and started asking questions about Proposition 8. We're not supposed to talk about politics, so that was a very interesting conversation to say the least.

Sat: It was a good day, but my brain was starting to feel pretty fried. But I can survive the few days I have left here at the MTC. Then the real fun starts. Oh boy! I'm so excited and nervous and jittery and BAH! For those of you who saw me when I was waiting for my call, this is a similar feeling! We played lightening in gym, which is what we've been doing lately, but, unlike volleyball, my basketball skills aren't improving. We also practiced with the Elders for the song we're singing in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday. They complained at first, but by the end, they loved the song! (EFY Medley en espanol)

Sun: It was our best Sunday yet! President Smith (MTC President) spoke in Relief Society about the nature of our calling as sister missionaries, and how we are an example and influence to the Elders. It was a very good talk... though sadly he announced that the Swine Flu is back. They haven't banned hand-shaking or hugging yet, but I won't be surprised if it is by this Sunday. There's several missionaries in quarantine, though we are still using real dishes. Please pray for the health of the missionaries! Sunday afternoon, we were able to participate in the Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple Dedication. It was a beautiful ceremony--and I'm not gonna lie--seeing 2200 white handkerchiefs during the Hosanah Shout was about the neatest thing I've ever seen in my life, and the feeling that was in the room as we started singing "The Spirit of God..." I get chills just thinking about it! The fireside was super good too. Brother Stevens (think Come Come Ye Saints fireside 4 weeks ago) spoke again. This time he showed us several of the old Mormon commercials, you know, the ones with the adorable little kids and cheesy tag-lines that you can see in the visitor's centers in SLC? It was an amazing fireside! Not because of the commercials, but because of the Spirit. We watched the Joseph Smith Movie. ONE MORE WEEK!!!

Mon: We had the Departing Missionaries Health and Safety meeting. They have different meetings for those state-side and foreign, so I was a solo Sister with Elder Evans and Elder Shedden. Talk about weird. Our roommates going to Baltimore left early Tuesday morning, so we said goodbye to them as well. I had several letters, which certainly helps the day go better. 6 More days... not that I'm excited or anything ;)

Tuesday: Okay, I know you've all been waiting for this. Tuesday was pretty much a normal day. We had an amazing discussion about Faith in class. We had gym and dinner. Then we went to Choir. We sang a song called "Here Am I" by Alice and Larry Beebe. Mom, if you can find this song, it is an amazing missionary song. I cried clear through rehearsal--which didn't help anything later that night. We always sing 3 prelude hymns. The conductor always says something between the hymns. Well, after the first hymn, he was talking about how we rarely stand for the hymns of Zion, but we always stand when an Apostle of the Lord walks into the room. You should have heard the whispers of speculation that burst out in the room! We haven't had any General Authorities yet, and we've all been getting anxious. Well, we weren't one line into "True to the Faith" when President and Sister Smith walked in followed by ELDER RICHARD G. SCOTT!!! I lost it! The water-works turned on. I was so grateful to be able to hear from an Apostle of the Lord before I leave--and boy was it a good talk. The Spirit was SO strong. I had questions answered, and overall just had a good experience. Mom and Dad, there's more details coming in the letter I'm sending home. And I know you're excited to get that letter. I didn't want the night to end! Yes, what an amazing way to end my MTC experience! This has definitely been the best week yet.

Wed: Well, we had our normal Wednesday morning trip to the temple, which was amazing as always. We also ate breakfast there--so much better than MTC food. I'm so full that I didn't even have room for ice cream at lunch!

Well, I love you all. I don't know when my next e-mail will be sent, but it will be from ALBUQUERQUE!!! Tell Jakob Clark hi for me when you see him. Any other of my friends who are reading this and are recently home from your missions, I want to hear how they went, and any advice you may have for new missionaries. (Aunt Deanna, thanks for sending me the letter Michael sent to Daniel. I appreciated it.)

Have a most fabulous week!

Hermana Good

1 comment:

  1. You're finally leaving to Albuquerque! I bet you are so excited. Maybe we can visit ya sometime while you're out. Keep us in touch. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete