Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

It was Father's Day today. I had the wonderful opportunity to speak in the Branch (they had to catch me to give a farewell talk) and of course it was on Father's Day. I'd copy and paste my talk, except I had no time so I just wrote out a rough outline and went for it. Actually, my talk went pretty well for how little I prepared...other than the fact that I was a blubbering fool up there. I should have told my family to sit on the side instead of in the middle so I couldn't see them.

Anyway, I just wanted to write a tribute, so to speak, about each of the fathers in my life--my dad and both of my grandpas.

My dad is an amazing man. He has been such an example to me throughout my entire life. He has supported me in everything that I have done. This probably sounds cliche, but I want the man I marry someday to be just like my dad. He has always been there for our family and really has provided us with everything we need and then some. I am so grateful that he holds the Priesthood and that he is able to give me blessings when I need them. I know that he loves me, and I really do love him even though I may not always show it. I look up to my dad with a lot of respect. I know that he wants the best for us. I am so grateful that he has raised me with the Gospel and for the testimony which he has helped me to gain. I'm sure that it's not an easy thing for him to be sending his little girl off on a mission and not see her for 18 months. But I also know that he is behind me 100%. I can tell that he is excited for me to get out there. And I'm sure that our relationship will only be better when I get home.
My grandpa Thompson is also an amazing man. I don't know if I've ever seen him upset. He is so easy going. I am so grateful that we live close so I can see him often. For a 90 year old man, he's got a lot of spunk. He's got a lot of miles left in him. There's still a lot that he wants to do-- including seeing my baby brother come home from his mission in 9 years. I love to see him out working in his yard or downstairs in his shop creating some wonderful new creation. Every night I fall asleep to the tick-tock of the clock he made me a few years ago for Christmas. And every morning (or at least most mornings) I wake up and choose a necklace that is hanging on the necklace tree he gave me this past Christmas. He still loves to get down on the floor and play with my brothers. If they get something for Christmas or a birthday they have to put together, Grandpa is right there with them putting it together.I love my grandpa Good, and I think about him every day and I have felt him with me at times. Even though he's been gone for almost 8 1/2 years, he is still very much a part of my life. I regret that I didn't get to know him better while he was alive. In fact, that gives me a brilliant idea! I need to take a story of an ancestor to the MTC... why not talk to dad and call grandma and get some about grandpa? My favorite memory of Grandpa was Christmas of '99. We always have a Christmas eve program. That particular year, grandpa wanted to tell the story of the 3 bears in German. (Heck, why not go back and refresh my memory by watching this video and use this for my story. It's hilarious!) He used my mom's footstool for her glider rocker for baby bear's chair, and when he got to the part where Goldilocks breaks Baby Bear's chair, he tumbled off of the footstool and CRACK! The footstool broke! It was amazing.

These are 3 wonderful men in my life, and I am so grateful to have been blessed to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment