Saturday, January 31, 2009

Friday Night Fun!

So last Friday night, Shaina went Latin Dancing on campus and had a great time. Jill and I stayed home because it really wasn't our thing. After hearing Shaina talk about it, we decided that we'd give it a try this week, just to see how it was. Well, long story short, we're hooked! I was on campus yesterday from about 7:15 am to 5:30 pm. Yeah, it was a long day, thanks for asking. I was pooped by the time I got home, and wasn't too sure I still wanted to go dancing, but I'd already told Shaina that I'd go with her. So while they went to dinner, I laid down on my bed and played around on my computer (I would have gone, but I was broke). When they got home, I went into the bathroom to get ready. Normally it doesn't take me too long to get ready to go dancing, but I woke up late yesterday and didn't do my hair or makeup. Yikes! So I had to completely get ready for the day. I pulled out my curling iron and went to work. I did my hair in ringlets and looked somewhat like Shirley Temple... but not quite as cute. I pulled it back and did my makeup, and looked pretty darn amazing, if I do say so myself. I still wasn't too sure that I wanted to go, but I didn't want to sit home on Friday night again either. But it was so fun! I danced with 4 different guys. 4 guys in 2 hours! So much better than country dancing where I'm lucky to get one dance. One of those was with my FHE brother, Kyle, who is one of the instructors. He knew that I'd never been dancing (well, that's not entirely true. I did go a couple times last year with my roommates but didn't enjoy it at all, probably because they tried to force me to dance with their friends but that's another story for another day) so he taught me a few things. But no one else they just go out there and start dancing. It was great! It was also crazy. I was dancing with this guy named Matt and when I told him that I'm from IF he said that he had a random question. I was like, "Okay, shoot." He asked me if I know Dallin Boardman. Actually, this time I was able to answer yes to that question. I went to high school with him. Turns out, they were companions on the mission. Then he was like, "Okay, I've got another one. Do you know... I can't remember his first name... Peterson? He's tall and blonde?" "Jordan? Yeah, I graduated with him!" They were in the same mission too. Small world, no? And the last guy I danced with. This was funny! I was standing there, or rather dancing, (yes, all you who knew me in high school and made fun of me for being so stiff, I can dance now, and I'm not stiff anymore, or at least not as stiff. I can move and not look retarded) by myself and this black guy looked straight at me and motioned with his finger to come here. I pointed to myself "Me?" He nodded yes and started pulling me in. So he leads me out to the middle of the dance floor and said "I could tell you wanted to dance" His name is G.W. (or at least that's what he said) and he's from Ghana. Anyway, we were dancing and he could tell that I was new at the whole Latin Dancing thing. So he taught me a couple things. But he still didn't like the way that my hips were moving, so he puts his hands on my hips and says, "Like this" and proceeds to help me move my hips right. That's right, a complete stranger. I was kinda shocked, but didn't totally freak out like I would have not too long ago. Anyway, like I said, I had a great time, and completely plan on going again next week! Yay for a social life!

No comments:

Post a Comment