Sunday, September 11, 2011

9-11


Today is 9-11. Up until ten years ago, September 11 was just another day. But for the past 10 years, it has become something so much more. Ten years ago today, the life of every American changed. I remember exactly what I was doing. I was in the first few weeks of my 8th grade year. That morning, I was getting ready for school. As usual, I had the radio on. That’s when I heard the news. At the time, I didn’t know what the World Trade Center was. I went into the other room, and turned on the TV. I watched the second plane hit. At school they had the news on, and I watched the towers fall. I remember the emotions I felt: the great sadness, the horror, the gratitude that I had for my life and that of my family.

Yes, I was scared. I was terrified. What was going to happen? Was this going to start a third world war? What was happening? Why would anyone do this? Many questions ran through my 13 year-old mind. And I still don’t have all of the answers. But one thing I know for certain is that my Heavenly Father loves me.

Today I have paused to reflect on that day. I have watched news clips on youtube. I have watched documentaries on TV. And my heart has been full. That day changed my life. There were some people whose testimonies wavered that day. Mine was strengthened. To me, this was just another of the signs of the times in which we live, a sign that the second coming of our Savior is ever growing closer.

That day is one that I never want to relive. Just seeing the news from that day is hard enough for me. Those images are forever burned into my mind as I think of the thousands of people who were injured or killed that day.

Today, my prayers are with the families and friends of those who were killed on that terrible day. May they feel the love of their Father in Heaven in their hearts and be able to come to the knowledge of the great Plan of our Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment