Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bernalillo, NM Transfer 4, Week 4

Wow. Another MONTH has quickly flown by and I am at 7 months in the mission. This is so crazy to think how fast the time is flying by, but what a blessing it is to be here.

Monday: It was p-day. We kinda took it easy as we all had letters to write. We did make pizza for lunch using things we found in our cupboard (we don't want to know how long they'd been in there as missionaries have lived in our apartment forever, but it tasted good and we're all still alive, so I think it was okay.) We had FHE with the Marquez family and watched On the Way Home. The Spirit was really strong, especially as Brother and Sister Marquez testified to their children that this was something they wanted for their family (they'd seen it a few weeks ago and wanted their children to see it too).

Tuesday: We walked all over because we were kinda close on our miles, and it was cold and the wind was blowing. And I think it was raining, but I don't remember. Maybe that was another day during the week. Quien sabe. None of our appointments were home, which is always frustrating, but part of life as a missionary.

Wednesday: Magda invited the 5 of us missionaries over for a barbeque... though she fixed enough food to feed at least a dozen people and she kept telling us to eat more. We used the excuse that it wasn't completely done and put it back on the grill to avoid having to eat more than one piece. Then we went to help the Luna family who are moving into a house around the corner from their apartment. Then we went to dinner and had a roast and potatoes. Ugh. More red meat was exactly what I didn't want to see after the BBQ. Then we had another lesson with the Marquez' and Lunas. It was great to have their help to share their testimonies about what the Gospel has done for them, as they have been members for about 6 months (though Manuel was there too, and he was only baptized 2 months ago). The Spirit was really strong once again.

Thursday: It was cold and snowy. Actually, it was more of a sleety-drizzle. Hardly enough to get you wet, but yet Sister Cabello was going crazy that I wasn't using my umbrella and kept trying to hold hers over the both of us. I had it in my bag, it just wasn't wet enough for me to hassle with the umbrella. She said that if it rains where she's from, you don't go outside. For me, if it's not pouring, you don't really use an umbrella. Her reactions to the weather kinda make me laugh... especially her reactions to snow, because before the mission she'd never seen snow. For me, it's really weird NOT to see snow this time of year.

Friday: Planning day. We spent a good chunk of the time cleaning up our area book, because we needed to get it organized and figure out which of the former investigators we should go contact, then we headed down to Bernalillo to contact them. We had another really good lesson with the Marquez family. I am super surprised at some of the answers the youngest two kids give. I know that I couldn't have given answers like those when I was their age, and I grew up in the Church! The oldest 2 daughters, ages 13 and 14 still don't say much, and they along with their 12 year old brother want to wait for a while to be baptized so they can continue to learn more, but they have also talked about the changes they have seen in their family and have said that they do want to be baptized in the future. And we really feel that it won't be too long after their parents.

Saturday: We went with Sister Marquez and 10 year old Ruth to the baptism of a couple in the Bernalillo Ward so they could see what it was like before their own baptism in 2 weeks. It was a wonderful experience for them! While Bishop Swartz was welcoming them into the ward, he also spoke to Sister Marquez (via translation by Sister Michel) that her family are also some of the elect and that they are excited to have them in the ward. Sister Marquez was impressed that he would speak to her and let her know that they are excited to have them in the ward. They have had nothing but good experiences with members of the Church, and they aren't afraid to share the Gospel with their family and friends, even if it may mean that they may lose some of their friends or that their family members may not want anything to do with them because they know it is true. I continue to be amazed at the changes they are making in their lives. They look happier. When we woke up Saturday morning and looked out the window, and even when we left our apartment, it looked like it was going to be another cold day so I put on a sweater and my boots. But no. By 11:30 when we got the the Marquez' so we could go to the baptism, I was absolutely roasting! Temps were in the 50s--a 20 degree difference from the day before. (Hey mom, here's an idea: how about on Saturday or Sunday you look on Weather.com and send me a weather report for the following week so I can dress appropriately and not freeze or roast to death--not knowing the weather is kinda annoying, and not being able to look at any kind of news doesn't help that matter. Por favor!)

Sunday: We forgot one of our reports that we have to turn into the ward, so after trying to contact one of our appointments and finding them not at home, we headed back home to get it. We had church and dinner, and another lesson with the Marquez family. Again, I was amazed at the responses of their kids. And we got home and all started wondering where in the world January went! It disappeared!

I love this work, and consider it such a blessing for me to be here. It's not always easy, but I am learning and growing so much more than I could have ever dreamed of growing if I weren't here doing what I know my Heavenly Father wants me to do.

I hope you all have a great week!

Love you all!

Hermana Good

No comments:

Post a Comment