Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Bernalillo, NM Transfer 3, Week 2

Wow. Another week has flown by. I probably start every e-mail I send with that sentence, but it's true every week! They just fly by! Soon Christmas will be over and 2010 will be here. Which means that transfers are just around the corner again, well, in a month. I hope you are all enjoying the Christmas season. Good luck with finals to all of you in school, because I know it's finals season. It's weird not being in school and taking finals, but it's even weirder to think that if I weren't here I'd be in Rexburg taking my LAST finals and getting ready to move to do my student teaching. Yeah, I'm glad I'm here because I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

Monday: P-day. Did the usual washing of clothes and car, e-mailing, buying food. You know. The usual boring things. Actually though, that's the variation to our week. We had a lesson scheduled with one of our investigators and some members lined up to go with us that night, and he didn't show up. He was stuck in traffic (it was backed up for a couple miles because of an accident), so we rescheduled for the next night and the members said they'd come help us. Well, Tuesday night rolls around, and we hear him in his house but he doesn't answer the door or phone. We haven't been able to get a hold of him since he came to church last Sunday.

Tuesday: Our appointments fell through left and right, but as we spoke to other missionaries, it wasn't just for us. It was just a bad day. I had an incredible study in the morning... though I only read 15 minutes in the BOM and 3 sentences in Preach My Gospel. I was really struggling with homesickness last Monday and what I read in Preach My Gospel was just what I needed to hear, so I went off writing about all of the impressions I had. The weather was beautiful--during the afternoon I didn't need a coat, simply my sweater.

Wednesday: We had an incredibly productive day, teaching 13 lessons. We got home feeling like it had been unproductive, until we did our numbers. We did lots of walking too, but we need to in order to save our miles because we have limited miles to use each transfer. Besides, things in Bernalillo aren't that spread out. Most of the Spanish-speaking population is within 1 square mile or so.

Thursday: We got up and set up our Christmas tree instead of exercising. While we were decorating, we looked out the window and saw SNOW!!! I was so happy I could have cried. Seriously. And while I was in the shower, my sweet companions put angel hair on the branches to look like snow so I'd feel less homesick. The snow was all gone by noon, but it snowed just enough to make it feel like Christmas. It was a cold day. I wore long johns under my skirt, and about 3 pair of socks under my boots. As we were driving into Bernalillo after our dinner appointment, we saw that it was a mere 12 degrees outside. I don't have a clue what it was during the day, but I'm guessing not much above freezing. When we got home, the three of us talked about the blessings of our serving here. And when we got home, there was a package with some things for the 12 days of Christmas waiting for me... us! Thanks mom! My companions appreciate it very much because they know that they probably won't get much, if anything, from their families for Christmas.

Friday: We had planning, then went knocking on doors because our appointments fell through. One of the houses had a thermometer by the door and it was 32 degrees, but the wind was blowing pretty good. I just THOUGHT I was coming somewhere warm. It's just cold and snowless. But the cold did come in later than I'm used to.

Saturday: I had no time to write anything to remind me about the day, but I don't think anything really exciting happened anyway. Just another day in the life of the Bernalillo Spanish Sisters.

Sunday: We only had 11 people at church. Yep. Pretty pathetic. 3 missionaries, the pianist (who doesn't speak Spanish) 5 members who are all bi-lingual, the high counselor who conducted the meeting, and the Stake President. Ouch. Bad day for him to show up. We didn't even have any of the recent converts there, let alone investigators. But he announced that they're just waiting on the letter from the First Presidency to approve our Spanish Branch! And it should get here within the next week or so! La Rama Coronado will have leaders called and be ready to go within the next month-ish! Sister Michel and I are both praying that we'll be able to stay here another transfer so we can see it get started. What an exciting time! It was a very cold day, and we were told that there's a cold front coming in. Oh goody. Every time I think I'm cold, I tell myself that I'm an Idaho girl and can take the cold, but we'll see how long that lasts. And we're also told that this is one of the coldest winters on record. Perfect. The cold weather is following me. But I'll survive.

Well, I love you all. I appreciate your prayers and knowing that you're thinking about me. Have a wonderful Christmas season!

Hermana Good

No comments:

Post a Comment