Monday, November 16, 2009

Bernalillo, NM Transfer 2, Week 5

Dear Family and Friends,

Another week has flown by here in New Mexico. I really can't believe how fast time is going. I was laying in bed unable to sleep one night this week--no doubt because I had caffeine in my system from the Coke one of our investigators gave us earlier that day (it's rude to turn it down, especially after they've opened the can and poured it in a glass--but I don't like it) and I realized that yesterday marked 4 1/2 months in the mission. And do you know what that means? Yeah--I'm 1/4 of the way done. And I don't know if I like that. I love serving the Lord. Don't get me wrong, I miss all of you like crazy and can't wait to see you again, but I am having so many wonderful experiences here that I wouldn't be able to have if I weren't here, and I am learning so much. And as I was sitting in Stake Conference yesterday with the Luna family (they saved us seats so we could sit with them) I realized that I will miss these people here just as much as I miss all of you when I get transferred and go home. Seriously, the Luna family is my adopted family. Brother and Sister Luna have told us that we're their adopted daughters. And Lily and Fer (their daughters) are my sisters, and Alexis and Luis (Lily's sons) seriously feel like my siblings. And there are so many other people here who feel like my family, but it really isn't the same.

Anyhow...

Monday: It was preparation day. We went to the post office to pick up a package that had my sweaters! And just in time too... it's been cold the past few days. It also had a piano book--just the one I was thinking of when I asked mom to send me one. And boy was I happy to see that! Not that I have time to play the piano, or that I'll be able to play any of the songs because I haven' t really touched a piano in so long, but it's worth a try, right? At least I'll be able to tell them that I can do a special musical number for zone conference next time they ask me.

Tuesday: Our apartment was a little chilly (but no where near what it had been before they fixed the heater) so I slept in my hoodie mom sent me Monday night. It smells like home, which made me feel a little homesick. But it was a nice smell. (side-note... today I'm wearing another one of those sweaters and it also smells like home). Funny story from while we were out tracting: We went to contact a former investigator. She invited us in and we had a nice visit, setting up an appointment for this week to return and teach them more. But before we left, we had a conversation that went something like this (if you can, translate into Spanish to get a better idea of how it went)
"Do you want a bottle of water?"
"No, we're fine thanks."
"For the walk?"
"How did you know we're walking?"
"Because your shoes are filthy!"
We accepted the water and left. As soon as we got off her porch, Sister Michel and I turned to each other and said "!Que Verguenza!" (sorry... I don't have ability to do Spanish characters--and for you who don't speak Spanish, that basically translates into "How embarrassing!") We got a good laugh out of that one... and our shoes were polished before we left our house the next morning.

Wednesday: The weather was beautiful... absolutely perfect. If the weather would stay like that for the rest of the winter, I'd be perfectly happy. We did lots of knocking on doors... but found absolutely no one who speaks Spanish. Or if we did, they slammed the door in our faces. But we remembered Alma 26:27 and kept working with smiles on our faces.

Thursday: We had District Meeting. We got information on our Christmas Calls home... Do you prefer Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? And do you want me to give you a number so you can call me, or buy a phone card so I can call you? I don't know where I'll be yet for those days or how things work, but let me know. Also at District Meeting, we'd been talking to the Spanish Elders so that naturally comes out in Spanish. Then one of the English Elders said something to me and I responded in Spanish. He just kinda stared at me until I realized what I'd done. It was actually quite funny. It was a little chilly, but every time I thought I was cold, I remembered Idaho and suddenly wasn't cold anymore. We had a meeting with the leadership of Magda's ward so we could discuss her baptism coming up this Saturday. Too bad we didn't have more baptisms in their ward when we were actually in their ward boundaries because they are amazing to work with! In every other ward, we have to do all the hard work, but this ward does everything for us! Yeah, we like that, it saved us time during our Friday planning session.

Friday: Funny story... but you really would have had to be here to get the full effect. Sister Michel and I have laughed every time we've thought about it or driven past the camels for the past 4 days now. We were on our morning walk (it's light outside when we get up now, so we can walk outside again--so much better that walking back and forth in our apartment, though I don't get as much reading in Jesus the Christ done). We were almost home when we saw Brother Komadina pulling out of the driveway in the pick-up loaded with hay for the animals. Well, one of the camels saw it too, and took off running across the pasture after the truck. This camel was outright running... and Brother Komadina kept on driving to the horses further down the road. It was SO funny! We did our weekly planning... for the LAST week of the transfer! Where in the world has the time gone? We'll get transfer calls on Saturday! I can't believe how fast it's going.

Saturday: It was a little bit colder. I was grateful I'd bought boots a couple weeks ago so I could wear socks--so much warmer. I was thinking of Britney and Jeff. One of my best friends got married... and I can't wait to see pictures! I hope the day was everything you wanted it to be. The Sister who fed us dinner fixed Hawaiian Haystacks, which I thought was funny because that's what mom usually makes when she has the missionaries over... but I'm not gonna lie. I like mom's better. Her sauce is better, and she has more stuff to put on them and make them yummier. Though they were still really good. After we went to the Saturday session of Stake Conference because Sister Michel needed to be on standby for translation. It was seriously one of the best meetings I have ever been to! There were many references to Elder Scott's talk from General Conference--which was one of my favorites. I encourage you all to go back and read it if you haven't since the Conference issue of the Ensign came out.

Sunday: We woke up to snow and wind. Gee... it looked like home. But it had stopped and was melted by the time we left at 9:00. It didn't warm up all day though. The Conference was again a good meeting. I was grateful for the opportunity to be there. So many wonderful talks were given.

Well, that pretty much sums up my week. I hope you all have a great week. Keep your eyes open next week to find out where I'm going, or if I'm staying and who my companion will be.

Hermana Good

No comments:

Post a Comment